Just as people undergo routine medical check-ups to detect any problems, preventing disease is essential for the health of our pets. That is why we need to be aware of the importance of taking the pet to the vet frequently.
Regular vet visits are very important
Taking our pets to the veterinary center on a regular basis makes it possible to detect diseases in the early stages. That is something we must be aware of if we want to provide an optimal quality of life for the animal.
It is true that the life expectancy of pets is relative and that we cannot magically increase it. However, if we want to enjoy them during that time, they must be healthy.
The work of veterinarians is not only useful in times when a disease is present or to prevent it. It is also essential to prescribe appropriate products to care for animals, based on the characteristics of each one.
Finding a trusted veterinarian is a very important task since a pet enters the life of a family. This professional will be in charge of solving all your doubts about the care of your pet: from food, through vaccines, and many more tips.
In addition, veterinarians must be in charge of raising the alarm on such relevant issues regarding the toxicity to pets of certain plants or certain foods.
The importance of taking the pet to the vet frequently should be present throughout its life. It is always recommended one visit a year with the pet, although appointments should be more frequent in some cases:
- When it is a puppy animal. In the first year of your pet’s life, the vet should check that it is developing correctly. In addition, it is an important stage as far as vaccination is concerned.
- When it is a senior animal. It is recommended that animals such as dogs visit their trusted veterinarian every 6 months. It is a stage in which the development of diseases is more common.
- If the pet shows symptoms of illness. It is evident that if your pet shows symptoms that something is wrong, go to a veterinary center immediately. Some of these signs could be changes in habitual behavior, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss or gain, problems with elimination, or difficulty breathing.
- During pregnancy. When a female pet is pregnant it is essential to go to the vet both at the beginning and at the end of this stage. At first, the goal will be to receive advice so that the pregnancy runs smoothly. In the last stage, check-ups should be more frequent and after the birth as well, to check that the puppies and the mother are well.
- Before and after the holidays. Especially when traveling, certain conditions will be required of the pet. These conditions are usually having the vaccination card up to date and being dewormed.
What to consider when choosing a veterinarian
Just as you have to assume the importance of taking your pet to the vet frequently, you have to understand that you must make the right choice.
Choosing the correct veterinarian is essential to feel safe when putting the health of our pets in their hands. If we choose a good professional, they will accompany our faithful friends throughout their lives, they will be able to get to know them in-depth and make the most appropriate recommendations for each case.
When you go to choose a veterinarian for your pet, you can take into account several aspects:
- Recommendations and opinions: from family, friends, internet reviews, etc.
- The proximity to your home: Visits to the vet are not usually pleasant for many pets, so the less the trip lasts, the better. Also, in an emergency, being close to home is essential.
- Diversity of services offered by the center: if the veterinary center offers other types of services, such as a hairdresser or a shop, in addition to care, you may be interested in having everything in one place.
But the two most important factors to consider, without a doubt, are:
- The treatment of your pet. The way you address your pet should be comforting. Our pets are loved ones by us and we want to be treated well. If not, you are not the right vet.
- The treatment of you. It is also very important to consider the treatment that the professional has towards pet guardians. This should show respect, empathy, answer your questions so that you understand s and be transparent. If it is not this way, it is not the correct professional either.
Now you know the importance of taking your pet to the vet frequently and some tips to choose the right one. Do not forget that, in the first place, the health of pets is in your hands and, therefore, it is your responsibility to let a professional check that everything is fine with them.